AQIP Online Learning Committee
Student Services Subcommittee
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
L 108 Distance Learning Classroom ITV conference with John A. Logan 10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m.
Present were Steve Jerden-Chair, Irina Neuman-Co-Chair, Kelly Henegar, Steve Cox, Jan Ripperda, Arlene Dueker, Joyce Pryor
1. Application process
JAL has both online and pdf download that is mailed back. Timeframe – online is real-time with an email sent to Dean of Student Services that he forwards on.
Not an issue (with JAL) for the accrediting team, statement or disclaimer on Web site for totally online student. http://www.jalc.edu/studentservices/
3. placement tests
Go to local community college, commanding officer, library etc. Proceedure must be in writing; placed within the course that is requiring proctored exam. Compas test is available online - go to nearest placement test center, take proctored test, results available online.
4. dedicated advising staff to online only?
No dedicated advising staff for online. Every advisor gets experience advising online student. JAL has 8 advisors.
6. textbook access online?
JAL handled through bookstore.
7. tutoring - how do you offer the same online?
JAL set up a Web site with tutor's email addresses and disciplines - email tutor with questions.
8. career placement
Student Participation - drop policy
No policy for JAL - JAL Distance Learning Committee is looking in to this at present. (and so is ours)
Student Authentication - how do you assure the person is the same one as signed up for class
ID and password is only authentication at present.
How do you proctor (who is responsible)
answered in 3 above.
Online course assessment
JAL Online Assessment teams. Faculty lead - faculty chair - 2 faculty members and 1 LRC member (rotating between 3 alternates) $1000 stipend per semester for faculty members. Assess all course each year. Faculty member being assessed is given rubric in advance. Self-assessment.
Other topics discussed:
Online section limited to 12 hours per semester. Student load is 18 students for a extensive writing course, 25 for gen. ed. - Online is defined as 3 or less campus visits (proctored tests) Hybrid is more than 3, or a course requiring 4 visits and above. Includes field trips.
Hits taken for defiency in accrediting:
1. Provide evidence of marketing specifying expectations for attendance for online classes.
2. Provide evidence that identifies marketing targeted towards who? JAL = those within our district - 2nd-dary within the state
3. Provide evidence that faculty is involved in shared decisions on what is offered online. JAL - provides a form that they fill out - signed by division chair - goes to curriculum council- also presented to college council.
4. Provide evidence of assessment of online learning - evidence that students are learning
5. Provide evidence that LRC and library resources are available to online students.
6. Provide evidence of a comprehensive stragic plan - want to see that online growth is planned for with appropriate increase in staffing and bandwidth.