How do I withdraw from an online course for which I am officially registered?
Students withdrawing after the first two weeks (or equivalent) of classes will
have a "W" recorded on their transcripts. Each student is responsible for
initiating the withdrawal request either by letter or by completing the
withdrawal form which is available in the Office of Admissions and Records.
All withdrawal requests must be filed no later than two weeks prior to the end
of any regular length semester (one week for the summer semester) or the
proportionate time thereof for other length courses. A student who does not
withdraw officially from a class may be subject to an "F" grade.
student having enrolled in and attended a class remains enrolled in the class
until the student initiates a withdrawal or the student is withdrawn under
provisions stated for administrative action.
How will I get the textbooks for online courses?
Students taking internet courses must pick up their textbooks through the KC Bookstore on the main campus or at a college extension center. Students unable to pick up and/or return their textbooks/CDs on campus should make arrangements to purchase these items through the Kaskaskia College Bookstore (phone 618-545-3090) or from other sources.
Will I need to be computer expert to take an online class?
It is not necessary to be a computer expert to take an online class; however, you should feel comfortable using word processing and web browser programs, downloading files, sending and receiving email.
What are the computer requirements for taking an online class?
- Complete the Browser Tune-up from BlackBoard
- XP/Vista or MAC OS X
- 512 MB of RAM (1 GB of RAM recommended)
- 1 GHz CPU (Central Processing Unit) or better
- CD-ROM drive
- VGA compatible graphics card installed
- Sound card and speakers installed
- 56kps or broadband (cable, satellite, or DSL) connection recommended
- Word processing software (some instructors require documents to be saved as Microsoft Word or .RTF format)
- Antivirus software and Operating System updates (update often to protect your computer)
- Supported browsers :
- Internet Explorere 6 SP2; 7
- Firefox 1.5x (PC only), 2.0x
- Safari 1.3, 2.x
Do online classes require campus visits?
Some courses require campus visits for proctored tests and/or labs. Please review the requirements on the instructor’s welcome letter. Proctored tests require an appointment at the Success Center or an Education Center..